Friday, December 4, 2009

Be Sure to Lock Up, Princess

I remember having homework in seventh grade. Maybe occasionally in fifth--when we were making maps. But certainly not before that. Yet, my oldest child had so much homework in kindergarten that I could hardly get it done.

I was a single parent then, and, by the time we got home from the day care center after work, we had exactly one hour until the younger child's bedtime. One hour in which to fix dinner, eat, bathe two kids, and put one of them to bed (with lullabies). The older child--not much older, needed to go to bed a half hour later, so the constant flow of homework--the kind he couldn't do by himself--was a problem. Finally, in frustration, I wrote a note to his teacher, explaining that I had already done seventeen years of schoolwork by then and really didn't need any more.

Things have only gotten worse. Not only does my current kindergartener have homework, I had to join a website so I can download it!

My second-grader's teacher explained it to me at parent-teacher conference. It's not her fault: the parents demand it. This is amazing to me. According to this, parents in my neighborhood do not want to spend any time with their children. Their focus is on Ivy League colleges or something. By puberty.

This teacher actually sent home a letter to parents before Thanksgiving break stating that there would be no "extra" homework for the three days off and suggesting politely that a nice family activity could be found.

I look at it this way. An elementary-school-aged child already spends 6.5 hours a day in school. That's almost as long as a full-time job. And they're children!

I have fond memories of how I spent my time after school: playing dolls with Kathryn in her spacious, only-girl-in-the-family bedroom. Bonding with my siblings over Gilligan's Island and The Brady Bunch amidst chair-saving and other power plays. Playing jacks on the cement front porch until the edge of my right hand was black.

All four of my elementary-school-aged children have homework, but my fifth-grader's load is ridiculous. Frequently, I have to stop myself from asking her to set the table, because she is slaving feverishly over homework and is miles from done. If I ask her to practice piano, she gives me a pained look. Reflected in her eyes is her teacher, a woman who gives assignments requiring public library books the night before they are due, requires AP format, and deflects any discussion by blaming the child.

We walk around avoiding this family member, not daring to include her in our conversations. There is no such thing as play for her. Not on a school night. Meals and baths are rushed to the point they are almost unrecognizable.

Increasingly, I find my life revolving around her homework load. Some nights, I cannot even get my own things done.

Recently, although she was crazy-busy from the time she got home and barely ate dinner, my fifth-grader had to stay up an hour-and-a-half past her bedtime in order to get her homework done. One hour-and-a-half past her bedtime is one hour-and-a-quarter past my bedtime. I'm a state employee in Utah.

A fifth-grader is too young to be the last one in the family to go to bed.

I put in twenty-one years of school myself. By the time my baby graduates, I guess I'll have completed, let's see, 112th grade.

My daughter doesn't complain about her homework load. She likes her teacher. I asked her why she had so much to do--maybe she hadn't done much at school? She showed me a list a page long of her assignments for that day. She had done a third of them at school. When had they been assigned? Half of them were daily assignments, she said. Several had been assigned that day.

So this was the point at which I sat down to type my second can-we-get-the-homework-under-control letter to a teacher. I flattered her at first--what an excellent teacher she must be with so much to share, how highly she must value a good education. But can we wait past fifth grade for the college-level stress?

A healthy life requires balance. For children, an all-schoolwork week is not balanced. I say thirty hours a week of school is enough. I trustingly send my children off to their teachers for more than half of their waking hours, and I hardly ever interfere with the teachers' time. Selfishly, I would like some of my children's time at home to be my time.

And some of the time should be their time.

4 comments:

  1. This is a topic that I've also had a really difficult time with. When I've taught privately the number one reason why kids don't have time is because they've spent all of their spare time doing homework. I have no idea how the kids with more than a music lesson once a week survive. I once taught a girl how had swimming lessons, rocket club, violin, piano, one of the martial arts and dance each week. Some of them mulitple times on top of homework. I have no idea how they she had time for family let alone sleep (most of her lessons she'd look like she was about to fall over in exhaustion). There have been numerous studies that too much homework actually is not benefital to the students and I've had lots of parents complain to me about the loads of homework their kids come home with but it keeps happening. I agree with you and say let children be children and give them unstructured time to explore their interests as well. Besides, with all of the emphasis on "going green" how many trees are being wasted by too much homework?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that kids need time to be kids and shouldn't be overloaded with homework - or overscheduled with other activities like Heather mentioned. I have several friends that are teachers and they have expressed the same thing the teacher you talked to did: the parents are often the ones demanding their kids be given more homework. It's hard for me to imagine parents demanding more homework because as a parent I have so many things I want to do with and teach my child (like moral values in FHE and scripture study) that the last thing I need is a stack of worksheets to do instead. Not to mention, they also want the kids to read 20 minutes a day on top of any homework they have. I have a suggestion for the school system: maybe they could publish homework guidelines. Say, 5 minutes of homework for each year in school they are. So, perhaps one worksheet for a kindergartener and by the time they get to 5th grade they are up to 1/2 hour. That seems reasonable to me. Then the parents can take it up with the district if they think their kids need more homework rather than pressuring individual teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when Gabby started kindergarten that all of a sudden there was more work for me to do. Mainly she had craft activities and so not too bad but it was rather time consuming. Right now her homework load isn't too bad. She brings home a couple worksheets a night and has to read for 20 minutes each night as well as practice piano and practice viola. What's frustrating to me with her reading time is that she reads anyway but we have to stay accountable for the time she reads, ask her comprehension questions and fill out a little worksheet each night. While that is good in getting the parents involved it is not easy to remember to do all the time and a lot of the time I don't have time to do it. And she's a good reader anyway so it is like "why do we need to do this?" It's just busy work to us. Speaking of, she does get a lot of busy work. Like for instance she brought home some worksheets on telling time - fill in the hour and minute hands. I thought they did that in 1st grade. In my opinion some things should be assigned on an as needed basis and not to every child for the sake of giving homework. But anyway, our teachers don't give homework over the weekend. The kids even get a reprieve from their 20 minutes of reading. So, it's not too bad yet. Probably will pick up quite a bit by next year.
    I really enjoyed your post. You should send it to the paper or something. I bet you'd get some good responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear. My son is in your daughter's class, and I feel the same way sometimes. There are days when it's under control, and days when he stays up too late. Let me know what the teacher says--I think she's pretty reasonable. Plus it helps that he donated to the BYU food bank--the winners don't have to do the usual homework this week!

    ReplyDelete