Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Um, How Do You Spell That?

Yesterday, my friend sent me a one-word instant message: Ryatt. Actually, it was a two-word message: Ryatt (male). She did this because she knows I take delight in scoffing at the stupid things people name their kids. It's one of my faults, I guess.

I promptly added it to the list, nearing 700 names, which I keep. My first thought was that poor little Ryatt's parents must have a sort of reverse-lisp problem where they say R's in place of W's. Then I remembered that, ages ago, when I was young, there used to be a comic strip in the newspaper called, "The Ryatts." Ryatt was the surname for this comic strip family. The kids were, supposedly, "riots," and it was a play on words.

Probably, though, Ryatt's parents are too young and uneducated in historical comics to have used the name for that reason. Probably, they were following the current misguided trend of trying to find a unique name for one's baby, which often calls for purposely misspelling a name and/or mutating a common name into something freakish in order to meet that end. Or, maybe they honestly couldn't decide between Wyatt or Ryan. (As in, "Hey! Look! The first syllable of Ryan and the first syllable of Wyatt are almost identical! Wouldn't it be a riot to confuse them?!)

A woman once told me--with a straight face, no less--that she had named her daughter Nichelle because she wanted her name to be different but "not weird." (Close, but not quite, I thought to myself.)

Close, but not quite names on my list include Chasidy and Chasity. The word, people, is "chastity," and I wouldn't recommend using it as a name. I can easily see any child saddled with it hurrying off as soon as she finds out what it means to disprove it. Another is Calicia, which was supposed to be pronounced Celisia. Okay, folks, without a French cedilla beneath the C, it is not going to make an S sound. Another in this category is the name Lily Vyne. Lilies don't grow on vines. Another is Marry. The name Mary has one R. I have also seen Merry used as a name. But Marry with two R's means, in most cases, pretty much the opposite of chastity. I wonder if they are sisters.

Other close-but-not-quite names on my list include Skigh, Tishelle, Storie, Myangel, Skylee, MaDawna, Ralinda, and Xzyle (what the?). Exile would be a horrible moniker without the atrocious spelling! Also notable is that Gage is the name; Gauge is a tool. And then there's Spechele. (Ain't that "special?") And Deseret, pronounced Desiree. Deseret is. . .something else, not a French name you can ignore the T on.

Another category is words--or misspelled words--that are simply outrageous as names. These include (for boys) Bugzy, Cage, Nazareth, Oreo, Pastor, Fate, Flapp, Fonzy, Success, Christ, Lucky (last name Lee--luckily, his parents. . .I can't finish this thought), and K'Arrion. (Do they know what carrion means?) For girls: Bethlehem, Baby, Cocoa, Dezire, Embrace, Genius, Heavenly, Kindness, Memory, Miracle, Miseryrose, Sorrowlily, Promyse, Nymphmedusa, Treasure, Tender, Unique, Trylogie (how can one child be a trilogy?), Thoery (in theory, if this were a name, which it isn't, it should be spelled correctly), Zion, Sunny Star, Legend, Louxious, Aborijahnae (shuddering), Jerzeigh and Jersi. And my personal favorite, Purgatori. (Why not just name her Hell?)

Another is Hunee. We knew a woman named Honey, and my husband felt really silly saying hello to her when he encountered her at the kids' school. ("Oh, hi, Honey! I mean. . .er. . .) But at least hers was spelled right.

Which brings us to the equally awful category of names that have been purposely misspelled by the parents, so that the poor child must spell it out every. . .time. . .for. . .the. . .rest. . .of. . .his. . .or. . .her. . .life. Whew! What a sentence!

My own name has an unusual spelling. I wouldn't say it is misspelled, as there are several authentic variations of my name, but it is unusual, and, yes, I have to spell it for people. But at least it doesn't have a lot of X's, Y's for I's, or other unusual and unnecessary letters.

Take Aamber and Aautumn. Is it soooooo important to make sure your child's name will be at the first of any list that you have to put people in mind of an aardvark instead of your lovely child? Or Abbygail. Yes, it is possible to call her Abby without it being spelled exactly that way inside of the formal name. We get Jim from James without spelling it Jaimes. I've seen Lieu Anne in lieu of Lou Ann. I've seen Mahalet, which was supposed to be Molly. I've seen Shyanne, which, I suppose, is meant to emphasize a possible negative quality the child might understandably develop instead of putting people in mind of a town in Wyoming. I've seen Anthonyy. (One Y will do, thanks.) I've seen Antwon. (Gag!) Sometimes, in the case of Rackel and her sister Stephine, I have to conclude that the parents probably really didn't know how to spell. (I'm sure a nurse at the hospital could have helped out if asked.)

Then there are deliberately made up names. I understand this is a point of pride in some cultures, so I'll tread lightly. But I thought I would just mention Cheynithia, Choisniece, Elyxzia, LaDisha, Fredleca, Nuka-Marie, Pearlynda, Dorothalene, Melverlina, the twins Keon and Keona, and the too-popular Nevaeh. (Yes, I know it spells heaven backward. That's why it's dumb.)

To me, if you want to avoid looking ignorant, one sure-fire tip is to not change the spellings of Bible names or words that can easily be found in the dictionary. The real spellings of these names (and words) are so readily available and have such a long tradition that, well, that is how they are spelled. Yet, we continue to see names like Isaia, Isiai, Izaiah, Izeja, Izrial, Isreal (is that real?), Emanuael, Kayleb, and Jaunathan (he was afflicted with jaundice in the hospital). And Apryl, Aspynn, Candel, Dayzee, Safire, Strawberrie, Jakyl, Realiti and Realitie, Pheenyx and Pheonix.

Last, but by no means least, are made-up names with made-up spellings replete with symbols instead of letters. What, pray tell, is missing that these apostrophes are replacing in the names
A'kneta, My'Kylea, Shammare', R'Mayni, and K'Arrion (forgive me for using it again, but it is so good!). There's also Brie Z. Okay. If you're going to name your daughter Breezy, which, in and of itself is a terrible idea, at least make it one word. I also heard tell of La--a (LaDasha). So clever that my mind stops thinking altogether.

If your child's name is on the list, please forgive my offense, and I will do likewise for you.

10 comments:

  1. I swear, she's not making this up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, my child's name was not on your blog list but I'm sure it's on your 675 name list. We were going to name him Trumaine and call him Tru for short (after a friend, a big polynesian friend). But in the end I couldn't bring myself to name my skinny little white kid Trumaine, so Tru it was. We were just going to call him Tru anyway. I have never once regretted it, I think that it fits him perfectly. Since he's been born we have been calling him Trusen, it just sort of fit. It's actually a little town in Germany, and someday his birth certificate will say that when we get around to it. Kind of a backwards way to come up with a name but that's how it happened. I'm not offended by your list, some of those names are ridiculous. I find myself making fun of made up names and then Trent reminds me that we named our son Tru ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am also amused and/or frustrated by parents who give their kids "creative" names that will just lead to emotional scars for the poor kids. Middle school is hard enough already. I suppose you can be creative with a name without making a child suffer, but you have to be careful. But I hate it when the spelling doesn't match the pronunciation, that drives me crazy (no examples here, just in case...). If you want to name your dog something funny that is fine, but not a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My accountant friend had a client whose daughter was named "Fee-mah-lee", spelled Female. Asked why she chose it, she said, "I didn't name her. The hospital did."
    Another great one is Imagine, pronounced "Ih-mah-je-nee."
    I agree with Rich. Don't try to be clever with your kid's identity. There are plenty of rare real names to use if you want to be different. And I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I recognize some of these- brings back a lot of memories. I recently found one and thought of you but can't remember it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm another one of those who mocks and derides bad names, especially ones that are supposed to have a unique spelling.

    It pleases me to no end that my kids have normal names that are still pretty rare. I've only had a couple of surprises with their names; Enoch's name has provided an unexpected but effective way of discerning between those who are familiar with Biblical names or not. In the case of Beatrix, the biggest surprise is in how many people pronounce the X like an S, even when they know how it's spelled. I mean, if we wanted her name to end in an S sound, we would have gone with Beatrice instead.

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Too funny. I don't understand parents who give their kids such strange names. I don't blame the kids for later changing their names. I also don't like hippie names. Some are okay but sometimes you have to think that if you really like that name then get a pet and name it that. I do know of someone who named her daughter Meadow. huh? Okay.
    Growing up we got to participate in the naming of our siblings. My mom would pass possible names to us and we would think up all the ways that name could be made fun of. If it was bad it was tossed. It was quite fun. I remember one we tossed was William. Our last name was Welker. A friend of mine and I like to joke even now about the name William Wendell Welker. I don't remember if Wendell was a candidate too or if we made that one up but it was funny. Alliteration is not a great idea when naming a child either in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. I always wanted to name a girl Polly Easter...but I figure it might sound unnatural ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Janean, that is quite the list of names!

    I have a couple to add:

    *Millificent (Disney wouldn't be my first choice for name inspiration, but please at least don't use the villains. What would it do to a child's psyche to be named after the wicked fairy in Sleeping Beauty?)

    *Aquatta, Andrina, Arista, Adella, Alana and Attina (more Disney, I have a sister-in-law that went through all of these names - they are Ariel's sisters. luckily the names she finally settled on were much better!)

    *Dragon (rhymes with pagan). This was my hairdresser. Unfortunately, I thought she was joking when she told me her name and burst out laughing. oops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, should I even comment?

    Eleanor has an Oshyn in her class, and my brother is going to name his unborn son (due July 14th) Ocean. My father insured the Daw family- and they were crazy enough to name their son Zip-i-dee-do. In the book Freak A Nomics, his spends an entire section on studies done on levels of education attained and name correlations. When I was a stupid teenager, my friend, Emily Grua (she should have married Brian Flower--ha, ha) married instead a boy with the last name of Pitts. She didn't think it very funny when I suggested naming a girl Dasta. She woudln't even go for something normal like Cherry or Olive. Will was put with a companion named Black, so every time they went to knock a door, they had to introduce themselves as Black and Decker. When I was over in Germany, there was a companionship of two American Elders, Nix and Neiman--which, when they went knocking, translated into "Hello, I'm Nothing, and this is No-one". But I've been good to my children, haven't I? (except maybe Soren?)

    ReplyDelete