Monday, June 14, 2010

Good as New

Yesterday in church, the little girl sitting next to me showed me that right smack in the middle of the skirt of her Cinderella brand dress, a rosebud was missing.

It was a beautiful dress with a white satiny top and a light pink skirt, covered with a layer of tulle sprinkled with tiny sewn-on pink rosebuds.

Not because of any specific memory, but just on a hunch, I hunted through the cash part of my wallet and found the missing rosebud. It had apparently been there for two or three years, since her older sister last wore that dress.

I guess I have been using this wallet for years. The problem is that I too-seldom have the opportunity to get into the cash part!

To her delight, I showed my younger daughter the rosebud and promised to sew it back on when we got home.

This was a good thing, partly because that little girl was scheduled to be baptized later that evening. I whispered in her ear, "This is just like what happens when you are baptized and repent--the missing piece is found--has been there waiting for you all along--and things are made whole and well, good as new."

She smiled, and I smiled. It's great when events in life just snap together to give parents the perfect object lesson to support their teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment