Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vintage Wear

So I went through my overflow clothes that have been in my baby's closet since we moved here. (Doesn't everyone have a closet like that?) Never mind that who the "baby" in that room is has changed three times. And I thought that I would add some of those clothes back into my wardrobe.

Woot woot!

First off, who knew when I stored these clothes away that people would stop tucking shirts in? Some of my old shells and blouses definitely require a tuck-in, but I feel downright ancient doing it. Also, my waist isn't really quite ready for that display yet. Although I DID wear the mint suit at my son's wedding reception and my husband said that if I couldn't have looked any nicer without upstaging the bride. Who is movie-star beautiful and at least that tall, too. In her elaborate ivory wedding dress with her hair done up, she looked exactly like she could have been plucked from the heroine role in a Jane Austen film. So, I was forced to forgive him on the spot for all past sins. (Can you believe I'm going to have to start over now?)

Have you ever found a $20 somewhere and you have no idea how it ever got there or how you forgot about it? Well, no, I didn't find a twenty, but something like that. While excavating this closet, I found a perfect little black dress skirt that had NEVER BEEN WORN!

I KNOW! How did that happen? Slobbering, I hurriedly checked the tag, and it was a size 12. So I immediately grabbed an old mauve shell I'd been saving and put it with it to form an outfit for this week. "I'd better wear this thing quick before I can't wear twelves anymore," I said to myself.

Yeah, right. So, to figure out if this shell can really go with this skirt and what to do about tucking or not tucking, etc., I tried this outfit on in that small moment between when I walk in the door and when I am already wearing my nightgown for the night. (Paul calls me the fastest nightgown in the West, which really doesn't quite equal the earlier comment in any way but is still okay.)

I couldn't believe it. The skirt didn't fit. I checked the label again. Twelve. I weighed myself. I measured my waist. Of course both of those numbers were up a little because--hello!--this is evening and I never in my right mind weigh or measure in the evening. So I'm tearing my hair out wondering if I've really gained weight or if something else is off.

I'm thinking something really funky happened to this skirt in the factory. I've been wearing tens and this was not fitting like an 8 or a 6.

Which might explain why it's never been worn.

And why I forgot about it. I mean, who wants to remember a size 12 skirt that they could NEVER WEAR?

So I put it back in my closet--but only a week back. I'm still going to keep trying it until I can wear it--mauve blouse or not, tucked or not.

4 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of different articles about how the sizes now being called "vanity sizes" because they stroke our vanity as they would have been labeled a couple if not twice the size they are back a decade or so ago. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucking is in now! It is, but you have to tuck and belt it. Either a skinny belt that is a few inches below the waistband of the skirt or a thick belt that goes over where the two meet up... just so you know ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am NOT dealing with vanity sizes here, as these clothes were put away a decade ago. The idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great! And I laughed twice and smiled lots while reading this. <3

    ReplyDelete