Friday, November 5, 2010

Naughty or Nice--It Won't Matter

So, a friend and I were having a discussion about which of us owed whom a doughnut. I think I won, but then I had to decline. Part of me was saying, "I like the chocolate cake kind," and the other part was saying, "Remember your jade dress that you want to wear next week?"

It was exactly like those cartoons with a devil (devil's food?) on one shoulder and an angel (in a jade dress?) on the other.

Which morphed our discussion into the nature of being naughty or nice. I teased that I thought I was basically a naughty person forced into a saintly mold. He said I wore that mold well, which I really had to think about.

He also pointed out that I probably had not been forced into anything.

So then I had to take all of this on and be accountable for it--the naughty, the nice, the mold, my niche in the whole eternal struggle--but, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which shoulder you're on), not the doughnut.

I began to think, "Maybe someday, I'll be in the Celestial Kingdom, and completely happy, and then I won't want to be naughty anymore." My next thought was that my first thought was probably backward. Probably, I have to not want to be naughty anymore, then I can achieve total happiness. And then, we'd see about the Celestial Kingdom much later.

It makes one wonder.

And, while we're wondering about being in the Celestial Kingdom, I have to wonder if we'll be resurrected with armpit hair on our "perfect" forms? Because, well, that just doesn't seem like perfect form to me.

I worry about it.

If resurrected, "perfect," bodies have not one hair lost from their heads, does that apply to other parts, too? And if resurrected bodies cannot ever be ill or hurt, does that mean they will be unable to be tweezed, waxed, or shaved? I mean, what would indestructible armpit hair be like? I have never been able to stand the normal kind. Is titanium armpit hair that I cannot get rid of in all eternity something I can look forward to?

And, what about all the moles and whatevers that we've made sure to get rid of? Will they reappear, too? Maybe things like moles are considered imperfections and will thus not be resurrected with us. Maybe Cindy Crawford will wake up in the Resurrection and go, "Dang!"

Who's to say what things will be considered "blemishes" needing to be healed or made perfect, and which will simply be restored according to the DNA blueprint we were created with? (Okay, God.)

And what about the people who, through great expense and effort, have straightened their teeth? Will the Resurrection honor what we consider to be the "perfect smile," or will it honor the way the DNA blueprint thought the teeth should grow in as "perfect form"?

I'm very much looking forward to my middle son having the natural lenses and perfect vision he was meant to have, to seeing my mom with white, lovely arms unscarred by fire. But who knows what we might get stuck with? It's not like we can avoid our eventual fate by being naughty--the Resurrection is apparently for all.

My brother thinks maybe it would be nice to choose these things for one's spouse's resurrection. I'm just hoping for a tiny say in my own.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Don't get me started on that! like Cindy Crawford don't want to end up with a missing mole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us are looking forward to having some of our hair restored. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want my orthodontia reversed. Maybe Cindy could negotiate to keep the mole but be assured it would never grow hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe all of those armpit hairs are actually missing from our heads...so that we get thicker hair later...just a thought. Also, I'm wondering if DNA is just a mortal thing and that we don't actually look quite the way in heaven as we do on earth. I remember when I was about three or four years old and I looked in the mirror (after climbing on the counter to see a mirror so I actually could see what I looked like since there weren't many mirrors I could gaze into) and realized that the person in the mirror was me and that's not what I thought I should look like...maybe I was/am crazy, or maybe I couldn't remember what I looked like in heaven but I knew that that wasn't it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need to stop wanting to be naughty then go to the Celestial Kingdom. However, I have given up being up to snuff Celestially--so will need connections in the way of loving family members who made it to vouch for me and help me get in..would like a mole or two to disappear and would love to be much smaller. Interesting thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. phairelady said: "...I have given up being up to snuff Celestially--so will need connections ..."

    Which is exactly why there was an Atonement! "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:...Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight:...For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;..." "...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."

    ReplyDelete