Friday, June 1, 2012

Dog Do(o) Not!

This might come as a surprise to some people, but I didn't buy my lawn so that dogs could use it.

Call me crazy, but my thought when I purchased my front lawn was actually along the lines that a lawn was a nice attachment for my house, something attractive leading up to the house, somewhere for my kids to run--I don't know, something (anything) else.

I admit that I am not a dog person, but I do respect dog people who take care of their dogs.  And their dogs' doings.

People who like dogs are certainly free to obtain dogs.  It might be a good idea, though, to buy a lawn before you buy a dog.

Or at least have a lawn in mind--one that does not belong to someone else.

The other evening, I was pulling into my driveway, and a young couple was allowing their two dogs to do their doings on my lawn.

I fumbled for my window.  "That is not a dog park!" I said.

They looked up at me in shock.  Shock!

"She's going to clean it up," the guy said.

I agree that cleaning it up is better than not cleaning it up, but it made me want to ask them: Would they mind if I smeared something nasty on their car, and then picked it off?

It's a matter of respect.  The lawn is not theirs.  My children play on it.  I walk on it.  My husband mows it.  None of us uses it for a bathroom, and we really don't want anyone else to.

 We live downhill from a large apartment complex apparently housing a legion of dogs.  I have thought before of posting a sign on my lawn, but I can't decide which one.  "Not a dog park" is my current favorite.  For what it's worth, there is an actual dog park across the street.  I pointed this out to the couple on my lawn.

I've also thought of: "Please purchase your own lawn for your dog," "Leave your address so I can return your property," "No trespooping," and "Dog owners: please ring the doorbell for a free dirty diaper."

However, so far, I have yet to post a sign.  After all, I wouldn't want to be rude!

8 comments:

  1. I've been sayin' we should put up a sign...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about "WARNING Electric grass: Activated by poop."

      Delete
  2. I vote for "no trespooping". So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post the sign! No Trespooping...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I've always figured it was fine as long as the owner picked up after the dog, but I can see your point. Something to think about. Here are some signs for you:

    Please do not empty your dog here
    http://curiouspresbyterian.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/pic-of-the-day-dog-owners-please-take-note/

    It makes us sad when you leave your poop on our grass. We play there every day.
    (signed by the kids)
    http://placeshakers.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/urban-renaissance-gone-to-the-dogs/

    Please use your own lawn
    (with doggy paw print)
    http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Owners-Please-written-choices/dp/B002JLPPRQ

    Children Play Here
    Poop-free Zone!
    http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1888237/stock-photo-a-sign-alerts-dogs-and-dog-owners-to-pick-up-after-their-pets.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It’s 'America’s overlooked environmental pollutant,' according to the Virginia-based waste-removal company Doody Calls.

    "They note that the nation’s 78.2 million pet dogs deposit about 30,000 tons of waste each day. That’s 10 million tons a year, or enough to fill 267,500 tractor trailers."...

    "And, yes, there have been scientific studies on the subject.

    "One traced about 95 percent of the fecal coliform in urban stormwater to dogs. Another showed the droppings could lead to algae blooms and oxygen starvation in lakes and streams.

    "Yet another study showed a gram of dog feces — roughly the weight of two paperclips — contains 23 million fecal coliform bacteria.

    "'People need to know that they have to pick up after their dogs,...that they need to pick it up even in their own yards, that it can cause disease.'"

    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/neighborhoodsouthvalley/54256682-132/dog-waste-park-dogs.html.csp

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how dogs feel about people pooping into perfectly clean water? For millions of years animals have pooped in the wild and nature prospered. People on the other hand mistakenly think they are being clean by their actions and look at the effect humans leave. You people make me sick! Literally! signed Mother Nature

    ReplyDelete