Saturday, September 1, 2012

Down or Back? Both Work

It was our baby's first day of kindergarten.  Don't worry.  He still lets me call him my baby.  Now that he has started school, I expect that will change any minute.  But, until then, I will still sing the words, "My baby. . ." in his lullaby.  When he asks me to change, I will.  And I won't even mention my broken heart.  Kids take their moms' broken hearts for granted, and moms need to, too.  Some things just can't be helped.

Of course, we wanted some pictures of him in his new outfit, carrying his new backpack, and all ready to go.  We wanted shots of the excitement on his face.  Not to mention, we wanted shots of his face while it was still chubby and had his little teeth in it.

My husband went for a wet hairbrush to brush our son's hair all the way over to one side, sixties' Brady Bunch style.  He posed with him for some pictures, and then I handed him my camera and held out my hand for the hairbrush.  I brushed our son's bangs back down onto his forehead for my picture with him.  He is so cute with a natural look.

It's not that we think the other person's way is WRONG.  We just don't like it as well as we like our own way.

Sometimes, we don't care if our spouse has things his/her way.  Either one of us can and has capitulated then.  But when we do care, we have had to learn to deal with it.  Without fighting.

There are times when I just don't feel like I can shovel what I want under the surface.  And there are times when I've suggested we take turns when he has looked at me like he cannot imagine it ever being my turn.

This has led to some interesting compromises: two different kinds of stuffing at Thanksgiving, two different kinds of gravy, and at least four different kinds of pie.  The silver lining of this is that it keeps traditions alive from both his family and mine.

And sometimes sleeping in different locations--one where the TV can be on and one where a reading light can be on.

And, did you notice?  Two cameras--the digital and the film kind for the scrapbook.

But at least we're happy, well-rested, and well-fed.  And have lots of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment