Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Romance Meets Reality

When a friend of mine got flowers at work, everyone, of course, admired them.

This put her in an awkward position.

It is nice to receive flowers at work when it's your birthday, anniversary, or Valentine's Day.  I have been such a recipient, and it can be fun to be all, "Yes, there is someone who cares about me enough to do this."

But, what if the flowers are an apology for bad behavior?  A make-up request after a fight?  A ploy to manipulate?  What is a girl to do?  Say, "No, it's not my birthday--my boyfriend cheated on me and thinks this will fix everything"?

I think not.

My friend and I agreed that there should be some rules established about when it's okay to send flowers to work.  Mostly, we decided, it should be when the occasion is positive, or at least neutral.

I once rejected flowers delivered to my home because they had been sent by a psycho who was trying to get me back.  He had tried to control what I wore and read.  He had tried to isolate me from my friends.  In casting aspersions upon my faultless father, he had tried to isolate me from my family. In casting aspersions upon my spiritual leader, he had tried to isolate me from my support system.  He was moving in psychologically on taking over my home and my children.

It was over, in no uncertain terms, and he had been clearly told that.  Gifts had been returned. Conversation had ended. 

I am glad that big box of flowers had not been delivered to my place of employment, because I did not feel just throwing them away would suffice, although that, in and of itself, would surely have made a scene memorable to co-workers.

No.  I called the company and asked them to pick up the flowers and notify the sender that they had been rejected.  He had started following me, and I wanted him, not just my wastebasket, to know that his advances were not at all welcome.  That I was not going to be bought. That my head was never going to turn in his direction again.

Another time, I received apology flowers from someone who had called me a bad name.  Although the roses were firm and fragrant--lovely in every way, every one of them repeated that word to me whenever I looked at them.  So, they probably did not have their intended effect.

It can be tricky, knowing when to send and when to receive.  A friend once talked me into giving a man another chance based on the expense of the two dozen long-stemmed red roses he'd sent from a high-end florist one Valentine's Day.  The second chance, it turned out, was a bad idea.

My favorite time receiving flowers was when we had just moved to a new house we could barely afford and, on top of that, I had just had a baby.  My husband brought me an armful of lovely white flowers while saying these words: "Don't worry--they were really cheap."  That sums up both halves of marriage, doesn't it? Romance meets Reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment