Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Enjoy!

Over the holidays, I think I pretty much proved my theory that I cannot gain weight if I only eat one small sugary treat a day. . .and that I will if I eat more. But, honestly, I got through the holidays without really any weight gain. Yay! There was some fluctuation, but on January 2, I actually weighed less than I had on Halloween.

I think that finally, after years of effort and frustration, trying what I thought was my best, I have figured out the solution for myself. It involves, yes, eating healthy and daily exercise, but that's to be expected.

I think somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought that if I could just lose the weight I'd gained from having five babies in middle age, I could then eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and in whatever amount I wanted. I think I was erroneously looking to exercise to void bad eating.

Acceptance of the concept that I actually have to adopt new habits and rules came slowly.

But, one day, in the midst of the holiday season, I heard two people say something about being on a diet, and I realized: I'm not on a diet--I just keep my rules. It was the most freeing thought I think I'd ever had. Because I can eat whatever I want--just not too much of it if it is not good for me.

I mean, if we really like a new shampoo, we don't get right back in the shower and use it again, right? Or go for another walk right after an invigorating walk? Why is it so hard to enjoy a small something and then quit there? Why does a two-cookie snack become a six-cookie snack? Maybe we don't take the time to savor our treat as much as we should--we just wolf it down. Or maybe a bowl full of four scoops of ice cream has become a "normal" serving to us.

Right now, I am fifteen pounds over what I want to be. Fifteen doesn't sound too bad, but imagine trying to hide fifteen packages of butter under your clothes and have them not show! It's no wonder some of my clothes don't fit. Fifteen pounds of butter equals 60 squares.

I overheard someone asking a friend what she could reward herself with if she lost fifteen pounds. Her suggestions were all naughty food, and it got me thinking. Maybe we jump to food as a reward when we could really think of something else we would enjoy just as much. I bet I could think of sixty things I could let myself enjoy as much as food, if I let myself:

A gorgeous sky.

A tall glass of cold water.

A hug from a child.

Chatting with a friend.

A hot shower when I'm cold.

Flowers.

A reunion.

Trying something another way and finding it works.

Seeing my mother's face on a child.

Being on time.

A nap.

A walk.

The feel of cool water when I'm hot.

A good haircut.

An intriguing novel.

Watching a play.

Watching someone you love achieve something they want.

A vivid color.

Writing on a clean sheet of paper.

Making someone laugh.

An organized drawer.

Learning something new.

Counted cross-stitch.

Getting things done early.

Receiving mail that isn't a bill.

A good cry.

A favorite movie.

A long, hot bath.

A holiday.

Snuggling with a loved one.

Learning about an ancestor.

Looking at houses.

Playing a game.

Working a Sudoku.

Spring.

Reading with a child.

Art.

A clean house.

Fresh laundry.

A massage.

Pine trees.

All the bills paid.

A new item of clothing.

Classical music.

A good story.

Going to bed before dusk and watching the room glow at the point of sunset.

A valentine.

A day off work.

Rain.

Exchanging knowing smiles.

A message.

Clockwork.

An anniversary.

Passing off a song.

Using nice dishes.

Soft fabric or blanket.

Pastel colors in an Easter basket.

Time.

Love.

Understanding someone or something.

What's on your list?

1 comment:

  1. I love this list. And I love reading your posts--you really are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete