Thursday, September 30, 2010

Where Did You Find Me, Mommy?

A couple of weeks ago, two of my children told me separately that they did not want to attend the maturation program at the school.

When the second one said it, I was dumbfounded. "Don't you want to know what the other kids will know?" I asked.

This was not the problem I expected to deal with. In my head, I was wondering whose kids these were. Answer: their shy father's. Back when, I was curious.

Still, it seemed unlikely that both of them would have that reaction. I asked my daughter, "Have you been scaring your brother about the maturation program?"

One shoulder came up while a silly look came over her face.

So I talked to my son. A little bit. About his body and how it would be changing. (I had already talked to his sister over a year ago.) Then, looking into his beautiful, innocent, brown eyes, I veered off a bit into discussing what being a man really means. What being a father really means. I talked about working hard, responsibility, treating women fairly and with respect. Being there for his eventual children. Following the example of his father, grandfather, and uncles.

Which is not an altogether bad maturation pre-talk after all, I guess.

I completely agree with having "The Talk" with my kids. I agree that they need to get their knowledge and values from their parents. And information--it shouldn't all come from dubious or out-of-the-home sources. I do not want to be as reticent as my mother was.

But, when you're looking into the face and eyes of your child--that child whose whole existence you have spent protecting and shielding--and you're doing it really just to be ahead of some school's arbitrary schedule and not because this child came to you needing to know--it can feel a lot like you're shattering that child's innocence. So, it's hard.

Ideally, this information should come as the child is ready for it. Ideally, age-appropriate answers should be given when the child asks questions and clearly wants to and is ready to know.

The best talk like this happened when one of my children was two or three years old. He looked up at me and asked, "Mommy, where did you find me?" Clearly, he could not remember how we had met.

First, I laughed at his cuteness, and, second, I was stymied for a minute, but then I answered honestly, "I found you in my tummy. You were just a little tiny baby in there starting to grow, and I was so happy when I found out you were in there." I explained that babies grow in a special place in their mother's tummies until they are big enough to be born. That was all he needed to know at the time.

The next time he brought it up, I repeated, then elaborated, "And where did I find your sister?"

He looked at me sideways to see if I was joking, then said, "In your nose."

Apparently, more talks will need to be had.

Which matches what I told my ten-year-old son before his terrifying maturation program: growing up is a process. You're not a child one day and an adult the next. Not in any way.

Which is why I guess I believe there should not be just one "The Talk." There should be several--at different times, answering different questions, giving different information, with different levels of formality, in different places.

It, like everything else in life, should be a circular, ever-widening-and-deepening-each-time-you-go-around process.

5 comments:

  1. Great post. It also saddens me that I have to give "the Talk" on the school's time line--and your shattering innocence comment is just how I feel. My kids have always asked me questions, and I give them straightforward answers. I have a very "that's-just-how-it-is" attitude and way of presenting things--opposite of the lovey-dovey special bonding "Talk" my mother gave me. My kids ask me all kinds of stuff--sometimes I even think "I need to teach him to not walk into a group of talking adults and ask x..." He doesn't do it for the shock value, rather he just doesn't know that some things are talked about in a more private matter, because I always just answer him without any emotions attached. (sorry for the long rant) Thanks for the reminder that some things do need to be repeated, not just when they ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Janean! This would be an excellent sample piece if you are applying for a newspaper column.

    I wish the schools didn't have to give maturation talks and that parents could be relied on to provide information. I want my children to get their information from me, not from the school. But I also understand that many parents don't talk to their kids and the schools are picking up the slack. Are you allowed to go to the maturation day with them?

    I like April's approach to "the talk." She answers questions as they come up, but when her kids turned 8 she sat down and gave them a full, but age appropriate talk. And, of course, she continues to answer questions as they come up.

    It's early, but they learn things early from friends. And it prevents waiting too long... I started my period and panicked. After a day I went to my mom, but I remember how horrible it was to not know what was happening to me or how to deal with it.

    The other thing I like about April's approach is that it is linked to them reaching the age of accountability. It is also before their hormones are raging.

    I'm planning to do the same thing with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janean, This is so well written. I love it. The wehre did you find me question is so precouis.

    I found when my kids were young and they ask a question they are ready for the answer becuase they asked it. It was on their minds. I did it the same sort of way. Telling them at first that they were in my tummy...it is information that is built on as they think abotu it and then have more questions.

    I knew that I couldn't do things the way they were done with me. I also honestly don't think my brothers knew anything till they were over 15...I wont give names but one of them approached me and said somethign to the effect of. It really bothers me at church when they say and they were "one" in the scriptures quotes and so forth or they say not to do this or that. What are they talking about?
    I was shocked...I knew the fact of life out of necessity becuase I had stumbled on things when I was nine and had to be told...I recommended my brother talk to my dad.

    It was so uncomfortable for me becuase I knew my brother already had raging hormones. I was also really bothered that he had been kept in the dark so long.
    I was the oldest and everyone has come to me about it...some after they were married...even though I don't hesitate to talk about most things I could not be the one to talk to my brothers in detail. That was not my job.
    It bothered me though that it had not been a priority for them to know.

    Megan, it means lot to me that you have taken my thoughts and experiences to heart. The one thing I don't usually mention is I have to say a quick prayer sometimes. The questions usually come at the strangest times so I am not always prepared. I remember following the advice I gave to you after someone I really respected gave it to me. It was unknown territory and I wondered how my kids would really react. What I found is that it has been a good thing and a blessing thus far. I now have some pretty deep conversations with them that give me some comfort that they will hopefully use the knowledge they have to make wise decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate both of your comments. I totally agree that children should be educated before they NEED to know--i.e., they are already "there,"--and that it is ideally done as they ask, but I do think eight is a little young and ten is plenty young enough to catch them in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still looking for my children - I've seen them in a dream or two . . .

    ReplyDelete