Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Day You Dread All Your Life

When my mother died, I had no warning.

She wasn't old.  She wasn't sick.  Well, she had a cold, but she'd always survived those.

She herself had only about forty-five minutes of warning, and I don't think she took it very seriously for all of that time.  She was on the phone with my sisters but didn't say anything about her chest pains until it was too late.

She was getting ready to go to the hospital when she just--dropped.

My father died even faster.  He wasn't old, either, and he wasn't sick.  He'd worked a full day in the business he owned, and was just relaxing in front of the TV.  From what my mother told me, he had less than a minute to indicate something was wrong before he was gone.

There were no goodbyes.

For a long time, I felt really cheated by their sudden deaths.  I was still in my thirties, still having babies who would never know them.  I was haunted by the fact that the people we love could be there and seem fine one minute, and be gone without any warning the next.

It didn't help me relax about the possibility of crib death, for one thing. It didn't lessen my worry when my teenagers were out, driving at night.

But, amazingly, I've gotten used to my parents being gone.  I feel they still exist, on a plane I cannot access.  They were too vibrant, too real, to just. . .stop being.  I miss them, but this is ameliorated somewhat by feeling like I still have them with me.  I know them so well, I pretty much know what they would do, what they would think, what they would say.  To some extent, I can still learn from what I know of them.

And it helps to know that I am not alone in my loss.  Lots of people my age or younger have lost parents.  My mother was only five when she lost her mother.  Nine when she lost her dad.  When my mother died, I could hardly conceive of how she, then a small child, could have born the pain I was feeling.  I still can't.  I cry hardest at movies where mothers of children die.  I always have.

It sometimes hurts to see people much older than I still enjoying those familiar relationships, but, as my dad was fond of saying, life isn't fair.

When I talk to people who have lost their mothers, the story is always different, yet the same.  Some of them kept their mothers until they were nearly a hundred years old.  How I have envied them!  Some of these, though, have watched their mothers lose their grip on life one inch at a time.  Sometimes, they've lost their mothers long before their mothers actually died.  They lost them twice, which I think would be twice as hard.

My mother was starting to get feeble, but she still took care of herself in her own home.  She still drove and had full access to her wonderful mind.

Her bones broke easily, so I used to fear that she would fall in the snow and lie there for hours with no way to get help.  As it turned out, that never happened.  We lost her quickly, but we were spared, I'm sure, many horrible possibilities.

After my dad's sudden death, my mother had the presence of mind to exclaim how blessed they were that he had gone suddenly like that.  "He would have hated to be sick," she said.

I think I know what she meant.

I have come to think that, no matter if your mother is young or very old, whether you get to say goodbye or not, whether death comes for her too quickly or makes her suffer a long time, there is nothing to envy anyone about.  It doesn't matter.  The stories are different, but they end the same.  The day your mother dies is the day you dread all your life.

2 comments:

  1. You may recall that my parents took a trip to Asia early in January 2002. Mom said when she came back it would be time to discuss a long-term plan for Grandma's living arrangements with the rest of you. As it turned out, they were on their way back when Grandma died.

    Alan, Jessica, Christina and Manahi went to JFK to meet their plane and of course, break the news. (Rob was at BYU, and I was living in Raleigh.) Several years later my father was coming back from somewhere in Asia (by himself) and was relieved that no one met his plane. (His father is still alive, now 92.)

    I don't know if this ever got around to you (Paul was there once when I mentioned it) but sometime around summer 1999 I had a dream where we were all gathered in the living room at 1076 South Fifth East, like we had been so many times before. Grandpa came out of the bedroom and no one noticed but me - but I'm not sure if I was really "there" or just observing the scene. He tried to go up and talk to some of us, and got no response. It became clear that no one noticed because no one could see or hear him. And that being on a different plane was as disconcerting for him as for the rest of us.

    It was a surprise, looking at the pictures from when my nephew Joseph was born (Father's Day 2009) just how frail Mom looked. But her last sixteen months (from when her cancer metastasized) she was in constant decline. And now Inauguration Day is going to be a reminder every four years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought it was a blessing that my mom was talking to her on the phone when she was having chest pain. Would grandma have called 911 on her own? Well, she didn't. She took a drink of water and waited to see if the pain would go away. My mom talked her into going to the hospital and told her that she was going to call an ambulance... she was mortified that she wasn't dressed yet and didn't want the parametics to come with her in that state. What a blessing to know that nobody had to question how long she had been out before she was found. What a way to go, if I could only be that lucky. I've witnessed many people whose hearts have stopped undergo CPR. It's brutal. It was terrifying every single time. I'm sure broken ribs, punctures in lungs and brain damage from lack of oxygen are not something that any person wishes to ever endure. You don't know that it was too late for her to mention her chest pain... people who work to try to save peoples lives are just that, people. They are not God, and they are not always able to stop the course of action that is happening.

    Our parents and other loved ones are on loan to us. They are not ours, but we get to have them when they are here. Though it was sudden when she went, I've always felt peace that there was 12 minutes from the time my mom hung up the phone to when they showed up at her door. And that she knew that though she was sad to see her go like the rest of you, that she had done all that she could to try and get her help. She felt prompted to call her that morning, not at her usual time. I hope that I can always heed such promptings when it comes to caring for my loved ones.

    I'm sorry that you lost your mom as young as you were. I'm sure that's been a very hard thing. But be grateful that you had her for as long as you did, and that you know that you will see her again. What a wonderful reunion that will be!

    ReplyDelete