Friday, March 18, 2011

LOL Haters

Last week or so ago, there was an article in the newspaper about LOL haters, thus introducing me to a segment of the population of whom I had never before been aware.

I mean, I know different people have from time to time a word or a phrase that just doesn't sit well with them. There used to be a guy who regularly addressed his opinion that we should not say we're "grateful" in prayers because we should just directly thank the person to whom we are grateful, since we're already talking to Him. He had a point, actually.

Twenty years or so ago, my husband says he used the then-popular term "No doubt!" so much that his school-teacher sister put the kabosh on it. I am taking his word on this as I have not heard it much from him. No doubt!

So, I was not surprised to read that there are people who hate "LOL," but I was surprised to read about the venom with which some hate it. And, more so, the seriousness with which people take it.

"I make it a point to never type 'LOL' unless I am actually laughing out loud," one person was quoted as saying. Really? Does s/he never say, "Sure" in response to someone unless they know what they said was true for absolute fact? Do they never say "Okay" to acknowledge they heard someone unless they absolutely agree with what was said? It's hard to understand such angst about a tiny little one-syllable blip.

I would not call myself a "LOL lover," but, as a term, it has its place.

It can mean anything from a slight smile to "Yes, I heard you," "That was funny," "I see your point," "I like that," to "Hilarious!" It's a quick way to acknowledge, approve of, respond, reply. It's useful. And, like it or hate it, as other terminology before it, it seems to be here to stay.

2 comments:

  1. LOLing at Paul's comment! :D I absolutely hate the LMBFAO or ROFLMAO. I don't mind LOL. I use it and haha. But the others, really? Are you really rolling on the floor laughing your *** off? Really? And what can be so funny that it has you rolling on the floor? Also, I don't want to think about your BFA anyway. thanks. LOL!

    ReplyDelete