Thursday, March 10, 2011

Time's Up!

Last time I was asked to serve in the church in a new calling I wasn't especially thrilled to have, the sacrament song that day was, "Thy Will Be Done."

"Okay," I thought. "I probably had that coming." I mean, if the Savior could step down from being the Creator to take on a humble earth life for a while--a life that would include outright torture by the end of it--I guess I could give up the calling where I feel I'm doing something important in order to play the piano again.

But it smarts. It seems to me that anyone can play the piano in meetings. All the children in the ward have been growing up with piano lessons for decades. Why can't someone younger do it? Someone for whom it would be a challenge? Maybe even exciting?

We usually get attached to our church callings. When I was the chorister, I didn't want to stop to be a Primary teacher. When I was a Primary teacher, I didn't want to stop to do something else.

Sometimes, we wonder if our efforts have been recognized and appreciated. Sometimes, the less faithful among us wonder if the calling was really as inspired as it was supposed to be. A bishop actually said to me once when calling me to head up an organization that he had not prayed about it--I was just the obvious person.

That's really hard to take when you don't know if you can do the job. At least, you want to feel like it's part of some grand design and all the "guarantees" will apply to you. You know what guarantees I'm talking about--that God won't give you more than you can handle, that there is a reason for you to be in that particular position at that particular time so that something wonderful can occur that you and your grandchildren can talk about in testimony meeting for years to come.

At the very least, you hope something good will come of what you are being asked to do. You hope all the work you did in your last calling won't be destroyed by your successor. You hope you can find something meaningful in the next task, even a completely mindless one like banging out "As Sisters in Zion" every single week for the rest of your life.

It's also hard to take when you don't want the job. I mean, if the calling isn't inspired, isn't meant to be, doesn't place you where God wants you--then doesn't that kind of mean that your bishop is just a neighbor asking you to do something? Shouldn't that give you the option to accept or decline as suits you? You say yes because you put your trust in the mechanism that says that you're a cog in the machine that is the body of Christ, and, no matter how lowly your position, it is an honor just to be there, serving in "some lowly place in earth's harvest field," as the hymn says.

You don't want to start hoping you'll get called to some stake calling just to get out of the current one.

So we need to believe that saying yes is right, because of course the people with the idea to fit you there in the structure had some kind of spiritual manifestation.

I've also heard that a lot of people say no, just because they don't want to or don't feel equal to it. That makes me wonder--what are they saying? Do they then feel that the calling must not be inspired? That the bishop is just a neighbor? Or do they just not care whether they foil the "grand design"? Do they not believe the scripture that it's an honor to serve anywhere in the church?

I guess my take on this is that, in the right spirit, we can seek our own confirmation that the calling is appropriate. Maybe we're not being asked to grow ourselves this time around, but to foster the growth of someone else. Maybe we'll grow or be helped or be needed in ways we cannot anticipate.

Maybe there's not any big, grand SUPPOSED TO out there, other than just following through with what we're asked to do. Maybe we can find it in ourselves to follow through and just wait and see what happens next. And then we'll get it.

Having your calling interrupted abruptly also brings to mind these truths: that we are not in charge of everything in our own lives, and that we do not always get to say when enough is enough. I know stories of people who found out quite suddenly that the were simply out of time in their whole life--not just their favorite calling. "Really? It's just over--like that?" can apply to anything from losing a job to your house burning down to your parent/child/spouse/sibling dying to hearing "You're not my mom anymore" to finding yourself on the other side of the veil with no power any longer to change anything left unfinished to our satisfaction.

Are we going to be ready for that?

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. I like the issues you raise at the end. "Thief in the night."

    I'm reminded (as I often am in relation to callings) of the bishop who told me he'd learned to be a bit afraid when he had a strong feeling/manifestation about the "rightness" of a call he was thinking of extending, as he'd found it usually indicated that things would go badly enough that he would need to fall back on the memory of the spiritual confirmation to remind him that putting the person in the given position had not, after all, been his idea, but the Lord's. There are times when things are important for some reason either inscrutable or at least not readily apparent, and there are times when things are just expedient. (In this regard: D&C 61:22, 63:40, 80:3)

    As for those of us who are left to either accept or reject, I think it doesn't matter so much how (un)inspired the decision to extend the call. By simple virtue of office, the bishopric/presidency acts in the Lord's stead to see if we really meant it when we put our all on the altar. Somewhat like the outcome of a blessing depending on the faith of the recipient to call down the powers of heaven as much as, if not more than, the faith of the person performing the ordinance. As some put it, you may say you're willing to die for the Lord, but are you willing to [insert distasteful request here] for Him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole issue of accepting callings and examining the inspiration behind them always reminds me of an AP I had when I was new in the mission field. A few months before, he got a call from the mission president, telling him he was going to be a zone leader in another city. (He had a reputation throughout the mission as one of the, shall we say, less valiant elders.)

    When he got the phone call, he laughed and said, "President, are you sure?" Then came the answer: "No. But the Lord is."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You don't want to start hoping you'll get called to some stake calling just to get out of the current one."

    I got called as an assistant stake clerk not long after I moved back here, in early 2002. I am still an assistant stake clerk and I don't see an end to it any time soon.

    ReplyDelete